We are delighted that you want to raise money to contribute to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist! The following guidelines cover what you must know and observe in order to use the Wake Forest Baptist name. They will also help with your planning as you organize your tasks and timelines.
Your Must-Do List for an event benefiting Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's:
- Complete our event information form at least 4-6 weeks in advance (including annual events). All events must be approved by our office and until approval is given, no public
announcements or promotion may be made.
- Send all print, digital and online event materials to us for approval. Any materials that include the Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's name and/or logo must be approved by the Office of Philanthropy before they are produced. Materials include, but are not limited to, advertising, press releases, t-shirts, posters, flyers, apparel and accessories.
- Please do not list Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's as the sponsor or host of the event. Publicity should list the name of the event followed by “…benefiting Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist (or Brenner Children's).” If the funds raised are designated to a particular area, you may list the area as the beneficiary along with the hospital's name.
- Before soliciting any businesses for contributions or sponsorships, please send a list of businesses you wish to solicit to the Office of Philanthropy. We are fortunate that many local businesses support Wake Forest Baptist. For you to be successful, we want to make sure we are not asking the same businesses repeatedly or “double-asking,” especially if we are holding a fundraiser during the same time period.
- All publicity must state the percentage or amount of proceeds given to Wake Forest Baptist unless the hospital receives 100 percent of the proceeds from the event.
What our Office of Philanthropy can do and cannot do for your event:
|We can provide||We cannot|
For our institution’s accounting purposes, please present funds raised to the Office of Philanthropy within 30 days of the event.
Event participants should write checks to the event organizer or group. After the event, the organizer should present one check (representing the net proceeds) made payable to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's. Please include the completed Proceeds Transmittal Form with your check or email it to Lisa Long. If event participants’ checks are made payable to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's, we ask the event organizer to include that information on the Proceeds Transmittal Form and provide this form when delivering the proceeds to the Office of Philanthropy.
IRS guidelines prevent us from providing tax receipts for non-gift transactions such as ticket sales, purchases, raffle tickets, etc. We may be able to provide tax receipts for tax purposes to donors
who make tax-deductible contributions (gifts) to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist or Brenner Children's directly. If someone makes a payment that is partly a gift and partly in consideration for goods or services received, the value of the goods or services received is not tax-deductible.
Please note goods and services received on proceeds transmittal form.
Insurance, permits, expenses, cancellations, release of liability
The event organizer is responsible for all expenses and must obtain any necessary permits, licenses and insurance. Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist and all related entities cannot assume any type of liability for your event. If circumstances warrant (e.g., fraud, negative exposure, etc.), Wake Forest Baptist may at any time, through members of its Advisory Group or senior administrators, direct you to cancel the event. You must agree to cancel the event if so directed and further agree to release Wake Forest Baptist and its officers and employees from any and all liability in connection with any such action.
Should Wake Forest Baptist decline the event form or choose not to be affiliated with the event in question, reference to Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist in any form (i.e., use of name or logos, etc.) will not be permitted.
Publicity and Media
We are grateful when successful community fundraising events gain attention from media outlets, but we are limited in how much help we can provide.
Wake Forest Baptist Office of Communications, Marketing and Media coordinates all contact with media on behalf of the institution. Only staff members who are authorized to work with the media are allowed to contact media representatives or to invite them to campus. (NOTE: Office of Philanthropy staff members are not authorized.)
While we can respond to media requests for comments about your event, we are not able to coordinate media coverage, and the Medical Center campus is not available for interviews, press conferences or photo opportunities with the media.
To help with publicity, we encourage you to use our press release template and to contact media about your event in advance and to announce your results.
Check Presentations and Photos
Office of Philanthropy staff can arrange for a check presentation and photographs (not involving media outlets). Please know that we are not able to include patients, and our ability to include physicians, nurses and clinical staff is limited.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I direct the proceeds from my fundraiser to a certain area or fund? Example: cancer, aging, etc.
Do I need to create a 501(c)(3) (non-profit) organization to host a fundraiser for Wake Forest Baptist Health?
Only if the checks are written to Wake Forest Baptist Health. Since you are not an agent of Wake Forest Baptist, you may not issue tax receipts for donations made to the institution. We cannot provide tax receipts for non-gift transactions, such as ticket sales, purchases, raffle tickets, etc. If someone makes a payment that is partly a gift and partly in consideration of goods or services, that person will receive a receipt for the gift amount only; the value of the goods or services received are not tax-deductible.
Please refer to the Event Proceeds section for more details.